- Is permanently laid-off or has received a notice of termination or layoff from employment.
- Is eligible for or has exhausted entitlement to unemployment compensation.
- Is laid-off or received notice of layoff due to a permanent closure or has experienced a substantial layoff at a plant, facility, or enterprise.
- Is self-employed, including employment as a farmer, but is now unemployed due to economic conditions.
- Is a homemaker and has lost his/her source of income.
Customers that are dislocated workers are encouraged to acquire unsubsidized employment. SC Works provides them with career services, training services coordination (when appropriate), and related supportive services. When WIOA customers are unsuccessful in acquiring or retaining self-sufficient unsubsidized employment through career services, training services are made available.
The services may include the following:
- Group counseling (when applicable);
- Continual individualized counseling and career planning assistance;
- Continual or on-going assessment of the WIOA customer's capabilities and potential for obtaining his/her self-sufficient unsubsidized employment goals and need for supportive services;
- Short-term pre-vocational services, including, but not limited to, development of learning skills, communication skills, interviewing skills, punctuality, personal maintenance skills, and professional conduct, to prepare the individual(s) for self-sufficient unsubsidized employment or training services.
- On-the-Job Training (OJT) activities allow eligible participants who are otherwise, "job ready," to learn skills for specific occupations by demonstration and practice under actual working conditions in a business. Training occurs while the participant is engaged in productive, full-time work as a newly-hired employee.